Summer 2019 Online Course Opportunity
Multilingualism: Challenges and Opportunities in Education
Castleton Center for Schools
July 9 – August 8, 2019
Online with a culminating in-person session in August
3 graduate credits
Course description: This course offers an introduction to the challenges and opportunities language diversity brings to K-12 and post-secondary education in Vermont, with a focus on the following topics:
- How have historical and political factors shaped multilingualism, monolingualism, and language education in the U.S. and in Vermont? What trends in multilingualism and multilingual education can we expect to see in the next few decades?
- What particular challenges do English language learners and other multilingual students face in the classroom? How can schools support first- and second-language development and academic achievement for multilingual students?
- What assets do multilingual students bring to our classrooms and schools, and how can teachers and administrators tap into those assets to enrich the educational experience of all students?
- To recognize the trends that shape multilingualism and language education for learners in your context
- To use language diversity to enrich the educational experience of monolingual and multilingual learners